Wednesday, August 1, 2012

We supported Chick fil a!

One of my favorite fast food restaurants is Chick-fil-a.  I love hearing them say "My Pleasure."  I find myself saying "thank you" more often just so I can hear them say "my pleasure!"  The restaurants are always clean, the people are nice, the food is good and let's not forget the most important thing...MILKSHAKES! I love the milkshakes from Chick-fil-a! 

Over the weekend I was shocked when I heard that people were criticizing the CEO for his traditional beliefs.  In an interview Dan Cathy stated that he believes in traditional marriage.  That one comment sparked a national controversy.  Within hours there were groups boycotting the restaurant, and there were mayors refusing to let new stores in their towns.  Seriously! 

Mike Huckabee was in support of Chick-fil-a and declared Wednesday August 1st (that's today) Chick-fil-a Appreciation Day.  I knew that I would make an appearance at our local Chick-fil-a.

Here's why...

Less than a month ago we celebrated Independence Day.  Coming from a military family, this day always brings reflection.  I believe that we are blessed to live in America.  We have so many rights and privileges that many others don't enjoy.  We enjoy freedom of religion and freedom of speech...or do we?  CEO Dan Cathy believes in traditional marriage - so do a lot of other people.  CEO Dan Cathy said out loud that he believes in traditional marriage - so have a lot of other people.  CEO Dan Cathy has never refused to hire or serve gays or lesbians.  Isn't he entitled to his own personal beliefs?  Without it affecting his business?  I just don't understand.   SO...

Today Shawn and I drove to Chick-fil-a, where we soon realized that the criticism backfired.  Traffic was backed up miles past the intersection, the drive-thru was wrapped around the building twice, standing customers were wrapped around the building.  Normally when there is a crowd like this, someone is grumbling and complaining.  Not today.  Today there were grandparents bringing their grandchildren, veterans talking about which war they served in, young mothers with small children in tow, gracious people allowing young mothers to skip in line.  Today people were not in a hurry to get their lunch and leave.  Today people were showing support.



Here's to chicken nuggets, milkshakes and freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment