Sunday, May 15, 2011

OH the places you'll go!

That is my favorite book EVER!  I remember the first time I heard it... I was graduating from high school and the valedictorian read that book.  I couldn't believe that he was reading to mature adults from a Dr. Seuss book!  How Dorky!  But for some reason those words stuck in my head.  I went away to college and kept thinking "you're on your own.  And you know what you know.  And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."  Only I had no idea where to go.  So I transferred to a closer college!  When I got my first teaching job the words in my head kept jumping around saying "Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best.  Wherever you go, you will top all the rest."  I was ready and excited for my first job.  So what a better way to start the school year than to read Oh! The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss.  Every year I start the school year by reading this book to my class.  I don't care how dorky it seems, I love it.

So why am I writing about this now?  My beautiful niece graduated with honors from  college on Saturday.  She received degrees in Radiology and Psychology.   The words bouncing in my head went something like this "be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea, You're off to Great Places!  Today is your day!  Your mountain is waiting.  So...Get on your way!"

I am so proud of her!  I know  she'll move mountains!







No comments:

Post a Comment